Make Your Visit to Chennai a Memorable One!
Traveling is one of the best ways to refresh ourselves and to break the monotony in our lives. India is a diverse nation with different geographical terrains, history, culinary fare and natives. Every region in India has a different experience in store for varied travellers.
The vibrant city of Chennai has the blend of modernization as well as the tradition charm. If you are planning to a visit Chennai, it is recommended that you travel with some time in hand to explore it and to stay at luxury villa like IRIS Comfort Inn.Winter is such a great time of the year to get away, especially when there’s a long bank holiday weekend to make the most of. This period of the year is the good time to visit Chennai as the temperature will not be high. Lot of music events and theatre activities happen in Chennai during this time. The city will be lovely and vibrant as Christmas and the New year is around the corner.
The city offers lot to its visitors as it has museums, ancient temples, beautiful beaches, animal parks and delicious food. IRISComfortInn, would like to sharesome of those wonderful places to see in Chennai and the key events happening in Chennai during this period, which will help you to have an excellent city break.
Some of the places that you should visit during your trip to Chennai are:
If you are beach lover, the coastal city of Chennai is home to many beautiful beaches including Marina and Kovalam beaches. Marina beach is the most popular of them as it is the longest natural urban beach in India and the second longest in the world. This will definitely be a memorable experience if you spend time with your loved one at the beach. It is also one of the best places in Chennai to view a spectacular sunrise or sunset. You can ride a horse andpander in various beach games and try some seafood in the food stalls to get a wholesome experience.
Mahabalipuram was one of the busiest ports in the region during Pallava’s dynasty. Located on the outskirts of Chennai, Mahabalipuram is known for its ancient temples with rock-cut architecture. It is an important place to visit. On the way to Mahabalipuram, you can have boat ride, visit theme park and crocodile park.
There are many religious shrines scattered all over Chennai. The Santhome Church is one of the most important religious spots for the Christians in the city. This sparkling white architectural marvel stands on the tomb of St. Thomas. The design and architecture of the church will definitely remind you of the colonial past of the city. It has a museum, a library and is a perfect place to find some peace of mind.
“Maargazhi Music and Dance festival” or “December Season”
The annual “Maargazhi Music and Dance festival” or “December Season” in Chennai (the former Madras), which overlaps between December and early January, is said to be one of the world’s largest cultural events. More than a thousand performances are given, with almost as many artists. For anyone who enjoys Indian classical music, this is unquestionably the place to be.
Since 1927, this festival has been happening to spotlight and support the Carnatic music, the classical music of South India, and the classical Indian dance. Even top artists perform during this season, there is also a place for the best emerging talents.
The concerts are organised by music academies, theatres, sabhas, organisations working to promote South India’s classical arts. The best known and most prestigious is the Music Academy on Cathedral Road. Concerts are held all day long, from eight in the morning till late at night. Some daytime concerts are free and you might have to pay for the best concerts.
Here is the schedule of some of the concerts in December 2017 Music Season in Chennai. Please check online for timings and other details.
- The Music Academy – Dec. 15, 2017 to Jan. 1, 2018
- NaradaGana Sabha – Dec. 14, 2017 – Jan. 1, 2018
- NaradaGana Sabha Isai NatyaNatakaVizha – Dec. 14, 2017 to Jan. 1, 2018
- Sri Thyaga Brahma Gana Sabha – Dec. 10, 2017 to Jan. 14, 2018
- Tamizh Isai Sangam – Dec. 21, 2017 to Jan. 1, 2018
- The Indian Fine Arts Society – Dec. 16, 2017 to Jan. 4, 2018
- Bharat Kalachar – Dec. 15, 2017 to Jan. 15, 2018
- Brahma Gana Sabha – Dec. 3 to 31, 2017
- Brahma Gana Sabha & BGS Trust – Dec. 15 to 31, 2017
- Chennai Cultural Academy Trust – Dec. 14, 2017 to Jan. 4, 2018
- Chennai Fine Arts – Dec. 21 to 30, 2017
- Chromepet Cultural Academy – Dec. 1, 2017 to Jan. 1, 2018
- Global Heritage Music Fest – Dec. 12 to 26, 2017
- Kartik Fine Arts – Dec. 1, 2017 to Jan. 5, 2018
- Madhuradhwani December Festival – Dec. 15 2017 to Jan. 1, 2018
- Meenakshi Sundararajan Fine Arts Academy – Dec. 5 to 23, 2017
- Mudhra – Dec. 8, 2017 to Jan. 7, 2018
- NaadaInbam – Dec. 6, 2017 to Jan. 10, 2018
- Nada Sudha – Dec. 23, 2017 to Jan. 14, 2018
- Sri Krishna Gana Sabha – Dec. 13, 2017 to Jan. 3, 2018
- Sri Parthasarathy Swami Sabha – Dec. 16, 2017 to Jan. 4, 2018
- Sri Rama Bhaktha Jana Samaj – Dec. 16 to 31, 2017
- The Mylapore Fine Arts Club – Dec. 11, 2017 to Jan. 17, 2018
- Thrimoorthi Sangeetha Sabha – Dec. 8 to 23, 2017
- Trinity Arts Festival – Dec. 23 to 31, 2017
You will understand why Chennai is being considered as a major commercial hub on the world map and enjoy Chennai’s culture, tradition, heritage and food. Every year travellers from all over world visitChennai for both business as well as leisure purposes, which is why many luxury hotels have burgeoned in and around the city. Before you travel to this city, it is advisable that you decide a perfect accommodation that meets all your requirements in Chennai.